Monday, November 03, 2008

On the eve of election day


I'll never forget how I felt the night before the election four years ago. I was convinced that America would elect John Kerry and, in doing so, admit we made a mistake with George W. Bush. I wrote in my journal something like "We're sorry that Bush squandered the enormous good will sent our way by the rest of the world. We know he screwed up on a global scale. But we would never make that mistake twice."

Well, we all know how 2004 turned out. To add insult to injury, W. was re-elected on my Mom's birthday.

But tomorrow is another day, and this time hope will win out over ignorance and fear. It's too bad that Obama's grandmother didn't live to see it. The woman who practically raised our next president died yesterday in Hawaii.

No comments: